LOS ANGELES (Feb. 24, 2023) – SQUARE ENIX® today released OCTOPATH TRAVELER™ II, the second standalone entry in the critically acclaimed OCTOPATH TRAVELER RPG series, for the Nintendo Switch™ system, the PlayStation®5 (PS5™) console and the PlayStation®4 (PS4™) console, with PC via STEAM® launching later today.
Developed by the creators of the critically acclaimed original, which has sold over three million copies worldwide*, OCTOPATH TRAVELER II introduces players to the brand-new world of Solistia, where eight travelers with unique storylines and motivations must navigate treacherous lands, conquer enemies in strategic turn-based battles and navigate the perils and promise of a new industrial era.
OCTOPATH TRAVELER II tells a brand-new epic story, set in a new World independent from the original title. Players will be introduced to eight original characters and experience all-new features and gameplay elements. OCTOPATH TRAVELER II is the perfect entry for newcomers to the series, while also preserving the charm of the original game for existing fans by improving upon the series’ iconic HD-2D visuals, which feature a striking blend of retro 2D characters in a beautiful 3D world.
New and returning gameplay features and elements include:
- Break & Boost Battle System – Players must act strategically to exploit enemy weaknesses to “Break” them to inflict more damage, and “Boost” their travelers to enhance their abilities.
- Path Actions – Players can interact with NPCs throughout the world in various ways by using actions unique to each character, such as challenging people as the Warrior or stealing belongings as the Thief. Path Actions will vary depending on the protagonist and whether it is day or night.
- Brand-New Story and Characters – Players can embark on a grand adventure in the new land of Solistia and experience the intertwined stories of eight new travelers: Hikari (Warrior), Agnea (Dancer), Partitio (Merchant), Osvald (Scholar), Throné (Thief), Temenos (Cleric), Ochette (Hunter), and Castti (Apothecary).
- Day/Night Cycle – The townscapes and Path Actions available to each character will change depending on if it is night or day, creating more opportunities for exploration and discovery.
- Latent Power – A new battle element in which characters can unleash a powerful ability once the ability’s gauge fills up during combat.
- Crossed Paths – Additional stories will unfold between the protagonists as their journey progresses, further intertwining their narratives.
The OCTOPATH TRAVELER II Prologue Demo is available now for Nintendo Switch, PlayStation 5, PlayStation 4 and PC via Steam. The Prologue Demo allows players to choose any of the eight protagonists to start their journey with and play for three hours. Save data can be carried over to the full game once purchased.
OCTOPATH TRAVELER II is now available on the Nintendo Switch™, PlayStation®5 and PlayStation®4, with PC via STEAM® launching later today. The game is rated T (Teen) by the ESRB. For more information, visit: https://www.octopathtraveler2.com
Official Website: https://www.octopathtraveler2.com
* Total worldwide shipments and downloads as of August 2022.
OCTOPATH TRAVELER II is a brand-new entry in the OCTOPATH TRAVELER series, the first instalment of which was initially released in 2018 and sold over 3 million copies worldwide (as of August 2022). It takes the series’ HD-2D graphics, a fusion of retro pixel art and 3DCG, to even greater heights.
In the world of Solistia, eight new travelers venture forth into an exciting new era.
Where will you go? What will you do? Whose tale will you bring to life?
Every path is yours to take.
Embark on an adventure all your own.
About Square Enix, Inc.
Square Enix, Inc. develops, publishes, distributes and licenses SQUARE ENIX® and TAITO® branded entertainment content throughout the Americas as part of the Square Enix group of companies. The Square Enix group of companies boasts a valuable portfolio of intellectual property including: FINAL FANTASY®, which has sold over 173 million units worldwide; DRAGON QUEST®, which has sold over 85 million units worldwide; and the legendary SPACE INVADERS®. Square Enix, Inc. is a U.S.-based, wholly owned subsidiary of Square Enix Holdings Co., Ltd.
More information on Square Enix, Inc. can be found at https://square-enix-games.com
©2023 SQUARE ENIX CO., LTD. All Rights Reserved.
OCTOPATH TRAVELER, DRAGON QUEST, FINAL FANTASY, SPACE INVADERS, SQUARE ENIX, the SQUARE ENIX logo, and TAITO are registered trademarks or trademarks of the Square Enix group of companies. "PlayStation”, “PS5”, and “PS4” are registered trademarks or trademarks of Sony Interactive Entertainment Inc. Nintendo Switch is a trademark of Nintendo Co., Ltd. Steam is a registered trademark of Valve Corporation. All other trademarks are properties of their respective owners.